Carla Limongelli - Associate Professor - Engineering Department - Roma Tre University
Education and training
- 1987 - Diploma in Mathematics
- 1992 - Ph.D. in Computer Science (Sapienza University of Rome)
- 1993-1994 - Post Doc fellowship and visiting scientist at RISC-Linz, Austria (Research Institute for Symbolic Computation)
- 1995-2005 - Researcher position at at Dept. of Computer Science and Automation, Roma Tre University.
- 2006-now - Associate Professor at Engineering Dept., Roma Tre University.
A continuous teaching activity has started as teaching assistant for courses of Fundamentals of Computer Science, Functional Programming and Artificial Intelligence. She has taught and teaches various courses of Fundamentals of Computer Science for civil engineers and for Computer Science and a course on Algorithms and Data Structures
She has taught and teaches courses of Fundamentals of Computer Science and Algorithms and Data Structures. She also teaches didactic of computer science for teacher's formation curriculum (TFA and PAS).
She has been advisor of two PhD students at Roma Tre University and co-advisor of two PhD students at Griffith University, Queensland, Australia.
Recent Research Activity
Artificial Intelligence methodologies and technologies for e-learning. The research mainly focuses on Intelligent Adaptive Learning Environments, User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, and collaborative learning environments. In particular, LS-Plan, a framework for personalization and adaptation in e-learning, is a prototype proposed for automatic sequencing of e-learning courses. Adaptation is meant, with respect to the knowledge possessed by the learner and her learning styles, both evaluated prior of the course and maintained during course fruition. LS-Plan has been integrated into Moodle Learning Management System. Present work focuses on the following topics:
- Retrieval of didactic materials
- Social collaboration tools, to support the process of course construction
- Community of practice for sharing material and experiences among teachers
- Educational Recommender Systems to support the operations of retrieving, analyzing, and importing LOs from a set of standard Learning Objects Repositories
- Automatic extraction and recommendation of learning material from Wikipedia
- Extracting information for establishing didactic dependencies between Wikipedia pages
- Intelligent Adaptive Learning Environments
- User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction
- She is program committee member of various international conferences such as ITHET 2015, ICALT 2015, HCI 2015, ITS 2016, ITHET 2016, IEETel 2016, HCI 2016, ICALT 2016, ICALT 2017, ICWL 2017, ITS 2017, ICALT 2018, ICWL 2018, ITS 2018, Information Visualization 2019, UMAP 2019, ITS 2019, ICWL 2019, .
- She has been co-chair of the Doctoral consortium at ICWL 2016.
- She has been part of the commission for diploma thesis awards (Premio Lesmo) AI*IA 2017 (Associazione Italiana per l'Intelligenza Artificiale).
- She is chair of the track "Technology-Enhanced Adaptive Learning" of the congress ACM UMAP 2018 (User Modeling Adaptation and Personalization).
Activities at Roma Tre University
- She has been the Coordinator of a Faculty group for the "use of technology in education" from: 20/02/2009 to 25/09/2013.
- 2013-2014 and 2014-2015. She joined the Scientific Commette of the course "La tutela del patrimonio culturale:
conoscenza storica e diagnostica scientifica per il contrasto alle aggressioni criminali" managing the e-learning platform.
- 2014-2017. As part of the framework agreement between the Italian-Latin American Institute (IILA) and Roma Tre,
she was responsible for coordinating the web platform for the creation of online courses on " PROTECCION DEL PATRIMONIO
CULTURAL Y LUCHA CONTRA EL TRAFICO ILICITO " for the countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala and Peru.
The courses ended positively in May 2017.- 2015-2016.
- 2014-2015. She was member of the Council and the Scientific Committee of the 1st level Master "Experts in the protection
of cultural heritage" and managed the e-learning platform.
- 2015-2016. In collaboration with the Departments of Engineering, Science of Education, Philosophy, Communication and
Entertainment, National Institute for Deaf and High School Kepler, participated in the "Talent Italy" MIUR competition presenting
the MOOC "Thinking of Studying Engineering?" Ranked in fifth place.
- 2017. Responsible for the research contract between the Inter-university Research Center for Sustainable Development (CIRPS)
and the Department of Engineering for the management and management of the "Somali Web University" domain.
- 2017. Responsible for the training (development of a training program for the creation and management of a platform for distance
learning) of a technician from the Somali National University as part of the agreement between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and
International Cooperation of the Italian Republic and Roma Tre for the project: "Higher Education for Teachers of the Somali National
University operating in Somalia".
- 2017-2018. (ongoing) Collaborates in the preparation of an online course to counter the phenomenon of university dropout in the
context of computer science courses for first-year Engineering students, commissioned by the Roma TrE-Education Foundation.
- 2019 member of Junta of University Language Center (Centro Linguistico di Ateneo CLA).